Browne Elementary  | E-Stores by Zome
Search Apparel:
 Back to  » E-Stores by Zome

 
 


Browne Elementary
School History

J. J. Browne school, located in Northwest Spokane at Driscoll Boulevard and Queen, originally opened as Boulevard Park School in 1910 on a 1.66 acre site with two portable classrooms.  To accommodate the approximately 75 students in kindergarten through eighth grade, the portables were replaced in 1914 with what was on the site until the year 2000 when the existing school was built.

In the fall of 1915 the school board renamed Boulevard Park School in honor of J. J. Browne.  Names also were selected for David Bemiss, Horace Mann, and Madison schools at the same school board meeting.  Superintendent R. M. Watson had received letters from twelve prominent individuals, including former Governor M. E. Hay and August Paulson, urging that a school be name for J. J. Browne.

A newspaper clipping from the fall of 1926 described Browne as being "Away out at the north city limits in Hollywood district . . ." at "Washington Boulevard and Queen Avenue
. . . " and stated that "The school board had shown great wisdom by leaving the native trees and the building has the feeling of being placed in a park.  The green lawn further adds to the park appearance."

Kathryn Bean, who attended Browne from 1925-1934, recalls there being about seven teachers and a principal who taught part-time.  Hot lunch was served once a year.


Browne Elementary E-Store Categories:
Administrator Login:

SHOPPING CART:

Items in Cart: (0)
view cart



Payment Processing



   Copyright © 2017 E-Stores by Zome - A Division of Zome, Inc.         (888) 501-5510